Assistive technology (AT) assessments online, Australia-wide
Umbo provides assistive technology assessments for children and adults online, via videolink. We are a registered NDIS provider and can provide assessments for NDIS participants and private clients.
Can an Assistive Technology (AT) assessment be done online?
Yes! Our occupational therapists specialise in delivering high quality occupational therapy assessments online. We are able to provide assistive technology assessments online, via telehealth.
There are many ways information can be collected online, increasing the accuracy of the assessments and therapist observations. For example:
- Some assessments, including questionnaire style assessments, can easily be facilitated online.
- Observation based assessments will rely more on virtual (Zoom) meetings, videos and photos, as well as input from others in your care team.
- Using your smartphone or tablet to take recordings, as discussed with your therapist.
- Your therapist can also work alongside other professionals who see you in person. You may have an in-person physio or home visiting support workers who can provide further information.
Is an online assessment suitable for my disability?
Most disabilities, and their associated assistive technology needs, can be assessed online. At Umbo, we work with people of all different ages (children to older adults). Some of the disabilities we see include:
- Cognitive impairment (Stroke, Acquired Brain Injury, Learning Disability, and more)
- Physical disability (Spinal cord injuries, Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy and more)
- Psychosocial disability (Schizophrenia, Borderline Personality Disorder and more)
- Mental health (Bipolar, Depression, Anxiety, and more)
- Neurological disorders (e.g. Multiple Sclerosis)
- Neurodiverse individuals (e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorder)
Can I submit an online assessment to the NDIS?
Yes! Reports from online assessments can be submitted as part of an application to access the NDIS, or as part of a plan review. We commonly see clients wanting an Assistive Technology assessment to help NDIS understand their disability and needs better. The assessment and recommendations can help advocate for what you need in their next plan review to meet your goals. Our therapists will provide a full written report once your assessment is complete.
We are a registered NDIS provider.
We can provide assessments for new NDIS applications and plan reviews.
Meet some of our therapists
Elly graduated in 2017 with a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy from Deakin University, Geelong. She grew up and worked in rural Victoria and witnessed the challenges that exist in the delivery of rural healthcare. Therefore, she is passionate about making a difference in this population.
Sooyeon is an occupational therapist who has worked independently and as a member of multidisciplinary teams mainly with elders, children, young people and their families. She believes we all need co-regulator in our lives and co-regulation happens through relationships.
Emily is an occupational therapist who has worked and trained in various paediatric and adult settings within hospitals, schools, preschools, aged care and home environments including rural community health, acute adolescent mental health and outpatient care.
Megan is an occupational therapist with over 20 years of clinical experience in clinical mental health and community OT services. She has worked across hospital based and community public mental health services in Australia, the UK and Ireland, holding both clinical and leadership roles within health services.
What is Umbo?
18 months. That’s how long some families in Australia — particularly those in regional or rural areas — must wait to receive quality speech and occupational therapy.
At Umbo, we aim to start you on our clinical intake process within 1 week of receiving your request for therapy.
Our trained therapists deliver highly effective speech and occupational therapy to anywhere in Australia online, via videolink.
Umbo is a social enterprise and a registered NDIS provider. We also cater to private clients.
“Being introduced to Umbo was a lifesaver”
Unsure what you need?
No problem, just send us an inquiry explaining the difficulties that you/your child/your family member is having and we can let you know whether a speech pathologist, occupational therapist or other kind of professional would be most appropriate. It’s better to ask and get a clear answer!